How to Get 120 fps on PS5 – 3 Easy Steps
If you have a PlayStation 5, you want to set it up for the best gaming experience. And one way to do that is to achieve the highest frame rate possible – 120 fps.
So, how to get 120 fps on PS5?
Most gamers don’t know they can get 120fps on PS5 by making simple changes to their settings. And this post will help you learn exactly what those changes are.
Here are all the details on how you can get 120fps on your PS5.
By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to enjoy the smoothest, most seamless gameplay at the highest frame rate possible.
What You Should Do to Get 120 FPS on Your PS5
Your PS5 already has the capacity to support 120fps (frames per second).
But you need to check that a few other requirements are in place to get a better gameplay experience:
- Make sure that your display i.e. your monitor or TV is capable of supporting a 120 Hz refresh rate. You can check the documentation or specifications for your display to confirm this.
- Ensure that your game is optimized to run at 120fps on PS5. You can check the game’s documentation or the manufacturer’s website to see if the game is capable of running at 120 fps.
- Use an HDMI cable capable of supporting a 120 Hz refresh rate. HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.1 cables are recommended for this purpose.
In other words, if you don’t have a monitor with a 120 Hz refresh rate or if you’re playing a game that doesn’t support 120fps gameplay, then there’s not much you can do.
In the following section, you’ll get practical steps on making changes to your PS5 so you can get the requested 120 fps.
Steps to Increase Your PS5 Resolution
Here’s the best way to set up 120fps mode. Follow these steps one by one.
1. Check for System Updates
To start, begin by checking for any software updates for your console.
Go to Settings by selecting the ‘gear’ icon.
Find System and then System Software.
Select System Software Update and Settings
And then click on Update System Software
You’ll get two options – select Update Using Internet
Once you’ve made sure your software is updated. Move on to the next step.
2. Change Your Video Output Settings
Once again, go to your Settings.
Scroll down and click on Screen and Video.
You’ll then want to go to Video Output and enable 120hz.
3. Switch to Performance Mode
Again, go to your main Settings page.
Scroll down until you find Saved Data and Game/App Settings.
Find Game Presets and then select Performance Mode. And you’ll find that the fps increases for all your games (except for the ones that have it locked in).
That’s all you have to do to support 120fps mode on your PS5 console.
However, you do need to check two more things:
- Make sure that your TV or monitor supports 120Hz and find out how to enable 120Hz on the display you’re using.
- You may have to check if the game you’re playing has 120 fps support too. And look at instructions to learn how to enable it.
If you are still having issues on how to get 120 fps on PS5, you should check out Sony’s support page for more information.
Why You Should Enable 120fps on PS5
One of the main benefits of a 120 fps console is the increased smoothness when playing video games.
Not only do we get a smoother in-game experience, but it also gives us much greater control over objects and characters on our screens.
With such fast performance, gamers can also enjoy more complex visuals as developers have more power to design complex environments with detailed characters and objects, making the gaming experience all the more realistic and immersive.
Speaking of framerates, a higher framerate also leads to lower input lag and improved reaction times, which can be crucial in many competitive multiplayer games that require split-second decision-making.
Finally, with better frame rates comes less strain on hardware which can potentially result in a longer console life span allowing us to play games for longer periods of time without even worrying about lags or sudden crashes. This also works if you are playing games through game share on PS5 so you can keep competing on the best settings.
How to Make The Most of Your 120 FPS Gaming Experience
If you want to get the most out of your gaming experience, there’s no better way than to take advantage of higher frame rates.
With 120 frames per second (fps), you’ll see a noticeable improvement in the smoothness and clarity of your games—and your actions will be quicker and more responsive in every situation. There are a few things that you can do to optimize your gaming experience at this speed.
- First, ensure that your hardware is up to date with the latest drivers. This will ensure that your GPU can properly utilize the high frame rate, which will allow for better visuals and faster performance.
- Next, tune the graphics settings on your games to balance quality and frame rate. Finally, keep an eye on those refresh rates—if they drop too low, it may be time to upgrade your monitor or swap out your graphics card for a more powerful model.
Turning down graphical effects like shadows or other post-processing can help free up resources for better performance.
Setting up 120fps on PS5 may seem time-consuming but well worth it when you enjoy all its benefits!
PS5 Games That Support 120fps
Every PS5 game enthusiast knows about the immense power the Playstation 5 brings to the table.
Not all games, however, are optimized to take advantage of this power. That means that some games will run at lower frame rates than others.
So, it’s essential to look for PS5 games that support a higher frame rate.
Here’s a list of PS5 games that can support 120 fps:
- Call of Duty: Warzone
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Knockout City
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- Borderlands 3
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Overwatch 2
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 & 2
- DOOM Eternal
You need to check the specifics of your PS5 games and learn if they work at 120fps. Not all PS5 games do.
But you should find that the most popular games do, in fact, allow you to increase the fps and have a better time playing.
Choose The Right HDMI Cable
To get the best performance and highest frame rates on your PlayStation 5, it is important to use an HDMI cable that supports the high refresh rates and resolutions that the PS5 is capable of.
Here’s information on choosing the right HDMI cable for getting 120fps on PS5:
- HDMI 1.4 cables: These cables are the oldest and least capable of HDMI cables. They can support 1080p resolution and refresh rates of up to 60 Hz. Meaning that they’re no good for getting the 120fps gaming experience.
- HDMI 2.0 cables: These HDMI 2.0 cables are an improvement over HDMI 1.4 cables and can support resolutions of up to 4K at 60 Hz, as well as higher refresh rates of up to 120 Hz. They will support 120 fps on the PS5, but only at lower resolutions.
- HDMI 2.1 cables: Your best option is this 2.1 version. These cables will enable resolutions of up to 8K at refresh rates of up to 120 Hz. This is the winning option that you should choose.
For an even better gaming experience, make sure you also choose the right ethernet cable for gaming so you always have the fastest and most stable internet connection.
Plug your HDMI 2.1 Cable into the Right Port
And this is an important point. Check your monitor or TV to make sure that you’re inserting the HDMI 2.1 cable in the correct port.
If you have 4 HDMI ports, you may find that only one or 2 support higher resolutions and enable 120Hz.
Plug your HDMI 2.1 cable into the port that is clearly marked for 4K 120Hz to get smoother gameplay.
You can also check the manufacturer’s instruction booklet to figure out which one is your HDMI 2.1 port.
FAQ – How to Get 120 fps on PS5
Can You Get 120 fps on PS5 With A TV?
Yes, you can get 120 fps on your TV as long as the TV supports 120Hz. Then you just follow the steps you find here in the article.
How Do I Get My PS5 To 120Hz?
Make sure everything is updated and then go to your settings to enable the 120Hz output. After that you should be good to go with your new increased PS5 fps.
120 fps gaming is definitely the next step up, in terms of console gaming. Not only does it make the games look more realistic, but it also makes them more immersive and enjoyable to play.
By giving you a smoother gameplay, you will also have a better competitive edge over your componants when you are battleing in the many online games.
And that’s why we made this guide!
If you’re looking to get the most out of your PS5 gaming experience, follow the tips shared here and get the best results when playing at 120 fps.